Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday's Favorite Five's



Another week has rolled on by.  It was an uneventful week here, but I was still able to find some small blessings.  They don't always have to be huge and spectacular, do they?

1.   I made a venison stew one night this week and added some carrots that I had frozen early
      last fall .  They were from our garden and were delicious.  I kept a few back to eat as a snack later,
     but discovered they were too soggy to eat fresh after being frozen.  But they sure were great in that
     stew.

2.  I took a break from the computer this week and it felt really good.  It had become a real time-
     waster. 

3.  I had orders this week for 4 dozen eggs.  That left me with none, temporarily.  I wanted to fix my
     husband a late breakfast/early lunch of scrambled eggs, and had to wait until a few were laid.  I
     went down to the coop and found three eggs.  I brought them back up to the house to prepare, and
     they were still warm.  I thought, "Now that's fresh eggs!" 

4.  We had our taxes done this week.  That is always a good thing to get over with!

5.  I got my electric bill in the mail and found that not using my dryer has really paid off!  What a
     difference in the amount owed when I don't use it.  Sometimes I would wonder if hanging my
    clothes is really worth the effort.  Now I am convinced that it is.  Always a blessing to know that
    I don't HAVE to pay these big companies my hard-earned money!

I hope you all had a wonderful week.  Share your blessings by linking up atLiving to Tell the Story.
                   
                                                                             

10 comments:

Faith said...

love your fave list! and nope..they don't have to be huge events...mine sure never are (or rarely!). This is why we bought a gas dryer...because it is just soooo much cheaper than electric! i'm like you though..i hang most of our stuff, mainly because with organic cotton sweaters you HAVE To drip dry....so...we have an area set up in basement for the winter. I hang outdoors in good weather. Mmmm...Donny must have loved that breakfast...i'd buy your eggs if we lived closer :)

Gattina said...

You made me laugh that you had to wait until the hen layed the eggs to make scrambled eggs !! That really was an organic/bio meal !

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

What a good example you are. Wahoo on getting your taxes done. That is something I will do next week! I Hope.

How fun to use last year's carrots in your stew. It sounds delicious. I imagine you are looking forward to getting your vegetable garden going this year.

I agree that the computer can suck up all kinds of time. I am going to severely limit my use of it for Lent.

I've never had eggs that fresh before. :)

Divas said...

I have plans to make a big pot of venison stew for sunday dinner :)

And Oh! a clothesline! I dream of the day I can have one again.

Brenda said...

I sometimes take a break from the computer for an hour or two :) Its my work though. . .

Your life sounds fun and interesting, I love to hear that people are doing that.

Susanne said...

My mom is going to be 79 and still hangs her laundry in the summer. I grew up with that wonderful sunshine/fresh air smell in all our clothing and sheets. A wonderful childhood memory. And I can only imagine how much money it saves.

The "fresh eggs" comment made me smile. You certainly can't get much fresher, that's for sure. Yay for your egg orders.

Faith said...

Hope! i'm on my laptop and don't have your email in my address book on here so....just saw your comment about richard russo's book Mohawk. Yes I read that one and that's one of the ones I've liked the best...haven't read his latest two. I want to though as our paper just had a big write up about him (he was at Union college this week) and they talked about a few of his books. talk to you sometime soon....claire and i DO wanna get together with you sometime this spring!!

Annette Whipple said...

many blessings!!

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Hahaha warm eggs GROSS...right from the hiney I guess!!

I always let my hair dry naturally. Good for you not using your dryer anymore...bad for your hair!!

LOVE venison stew. I think Joe made that one time :)

Willow said...

Sometimes a quiet week is a good thing. Hurray for saving that money by not using the dryer. I have a gas dryer--one would thing that living in SoCal I would hang everything out to dry--but my HOA doesn't allow it :( so I dry some things inside on a rack. Someday, I'll live where I can hang my clothes out to dry in the fresh breeze--I'm glad you can.