Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Frugal Living and Household Tips

I'm starting a new series here on frugal living.  Afterall, homesteading is all about living frugally.  Today, even people that don't homestead want to live more frugally.  Just what does the word frugal mean?  According to my Merriam-Webster dictionary it means thrifty or careful management, especially of money.  I think most of us are concerned about managing our money carefully.  I don't know about you, but my money doesn't come so easily.  I have to work for it, and I don't want to waste one penny of it.  I thought this would be a great place to share our frugal living tips and household tips that can help us save money.

What about all those household cleansers we buy?  They can be expensive, not to mention all the chemicals that are in them.  Does anyone here have a homemade/natural cleaning product they use?  I mopped my floor this morning.  I haven't used a mop in years.  I don't like the idea of reusing a mop after it cleans a dirty floor.  Nor do I want to buy the disposable swiffers and other products like that.  That can get costly.  I use a clean  rag or washcloth.  They can either be washed afterward or thrown away.  Quite a few years ago I had a beautiful white kitchen floor.  It got to be too dirty for me to be able to clean it myself with good results.  I hired a professional floor cleaner.  I asked him what I should use to mop with.  He told me to never use anything stronger than dish soap!  He said most floor cleaners in the store are much too harsh for your floor.  He said you really don't need to use anything but water to mop with, but if you don't like the idea of not using some kind of cleanser, then stick with a little dishsoap.  That is all I have been using ever since.  Two small drops in a bucket of hot water works great.




                                                                                     


                                                                         

3 comments:

Faith said...

I NEVER use floor cleaners except in the bathroom if someone gets ill and doesn't make it to the toilet (happens with young children :) ). and then I just used the bathroom cleaner with bleach as we have a WHITE floor. For our commercial grade 5 stone tile floor in kitchen we were told to ONLY use water and a few times a year (i do it about every 3 months) to use Bon Ami a floor cleaner that is "natural" for stone. also, wood floors don't need cleaners (which i didn't know until too late). all they need is a DAMP (not wet) mop. Ours is now stripped in places due to harsh chemicals like Murphy's Oil Soap. if i had only known......now we just use a Bon Ami cleaner for wood floors as needed (about every couple months) for shine...with a soft washable chamois type pad. Good idea for posts, Hope!! I'll participate!! we are living MUCH more frugally than ever before what with one in college now! :) we are trying to finance her education so she doesn't have ahuge loan debt(she'll have some but not as much as us...thank the Lord for scholarships!!)

Brenda said...

I've mopped with a rag for years. When I lived in Paraguay they sold special things like a large window cleaner on a broom handle that you could wrap a rag around and it did a great job mopping the floor, then you just wash it. I like to use a little bleach on my non-wooden floors to clean them well.

Annette Whipple said...

I recently started doing my bathrooms with a rag only with vinegar/water.