Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Honey, Anyone?


If you want a home remedy that is truly good for a variety of ailments, reach for a jar of honey.  Be careful, though.  Don't buy just any honey from the grocery store.  For maximum results, use local, raw, unheated honey.  When it's raw, honey is in its purest form. 

Local honey is wonderful for people who suffer with allergies and allergy-related asthma.  Because it is produced locally, by local bees, your body can build an immunity from the pollen in your area.  I have recently begun eating one tablespoon a day of local, raw honey and hope to see a difference this spring and summer when allergy season is in full force. 

The reason I began my daily intake of honey is because I read that it is very helpful in the treatment of GERD, or acid reflux.  I suffer terribly from this and often can feel and taste acid in my mouth and esophagus.  I worry about the long-term effects of this as the acid can eat the lining of your esophagus over time.  Honey contains properties that acutally help to heal the esophogeal lining.  It has also been used to treat stomach ulcers, which I may have.  I had a very bad flare up of acid reflux about two months ago accompanied by stomach pain and burning, which may have been due to a stomach ulcer.  After starting a daily dose of honey, my symptoms were greatly reduced.  The stomach pain vanished.  I am hoping to eventually be able to discontinue my acid reflux medication.

There are a variety of other uses for honey.  Need an energy boost?  Mix one to three tablespoons of honey with a glass of water and drink.  Better for you than a store-bought energy drink, and less expensive.

Honey is also good for insomnia.  It helps to boost a chemical in the brain that calms you down, thus helping you to sleep.

Constipated?  Mix one to three tablespoons of honey in a glass of warm water and drink.

Honey also helps fight infection.  So reach for the honey the next time you have a minor cut or burn and apply it topically.  It will also help prevent scarring and swelling, and is great in the treatment of wounds.  Honey helps to kill bacteria and has antiseptic properties.  In fact, honey was often used by doctors until the 1940's when antibiotics were discovered. 

To sum up, honey is a healthy, sweet alternative remedy for several ailments.  It has many healing properties.  I would much rather reach for the honey jar than a prescription bottle.  Pass the honey, please.

"My son, eat honey because it is good...."  Proverbs 24:13

"....Look now how my countenance has brightened because I tasted a little of this honey."  I Samuel 14:29


For a wonderful recipe using honey in brownies rather than sugar ,  check this out Bodacious Brownies



I am not a doctor, nurse, or any kind of health care professional.  I cannot treat, diagnose, or prescribe.



4 comments:

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

YES Hope, I wholeheartedly agree!! I plan on gettin' my hands on some raw honey very soon. Thought I dont think I'll have the constipation prob hahaaaaaaaaaa!! Thanks for posting this!!

Faith said...

I always keep honey in my cupboard!! Dave loves it for tea instead of sugar and I wanna try that brownie recipe!! YUM! I do have a cookie recipe I've made in the past that calls for honey instead of sugar and they were good. I use honey when I have a sore throat. The only thing is: children under 4 should NOT eat honey. My peds told me why when Courtney was little but I can't remember the reason now! It's good for all kinds of things! I think I will go to the local farm stand to see if they have local honey and try it for claire's allergies (she has allergies from April until early June...so far she hasn't needed a prescription...just otc meds which work ok but...they make her too drowsy and the only one that REALLY works for her is allegra. i'm gonna try the honey after checking with her peds. (thank the Lord he is not "pill happy!" lol)
love the Scriptures you included!!

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Yes those scriptures are great Hope! So proud of you for blogging so well!!! So some recipes substitute honey for sugar? That's interesting...I'd like to try. : )

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

Interesting post on honey. I tried local honey for my allergies when I lived in CO. Evidently I was too allergic for this to be helpful. Even half a teaspoon caused my throat to start swelling. That was scary!

So glad to hear, though, that honey is helping you with your medical issues. So much better than otc meds with all their side-effects.

The side-effects of honey are ones that are beneficial (relieving constipation and helping with insomnia.) lol