Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday's Favorite Fives hosted by Living to Tell The Story

It's Friday again, already!  I had a lot of favourites this past week.  It was hard to choose only five!

1.  Saturday we saw our sweet little granddaughter.  We didn't get to see her at Christmas time, and we really missed her.  We spent the afternoon with her and it was so much fun.  We even got a new picture.       

2.  After 25 + years of making macaroni and cheese, I think I have finally perfected my recipe!  I was never satisfied with it, but could never seem to figure out how to improve it.  This week I made it with four different cheeses, and the result was heavenly.

3.  One night this week my husband came home from work with this beautiful rose for me.  No special occasion, it was a "just because" thing.



4.  Yesterday we got the first real snowfall of the season.  I was so thankful that I didn't have to go anywhere that day.  It was a good day to stay at home and be cozy.

5.  My sister got me a Mennonite cookbook for Christmas.  This week I had time to go through it slowly and discovered what a great cookbook  it is.  Interspersed among the recipes are Bible verses, poems, and great tidbits of country wisdom.  What an enjoyable time going through it!

I hope everyone else had a wonderful week!  Enjoy your weekend, and see you next Friday!

9 comments:

Faith said...

Great faves this week, Hope! So glad you like the cookbook....I liked it too! lol...and I don't make mac and cheese much but I do make one that calls for 3 cheeses and bits of ham and broccoli. It's super creamy! Your granddaughter is adorable..so do you guys have 2 grandchildren? I thought it was just Ava. I'll have to show D your rose...it's been a while since HE has done something like that! lol...enjoy your weekend!!

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Oh she is just simply gorgeous!! Mmmm mac-n-cheese; can you make that sometime for me? lol!!

LOVE the rose!! I told Joe about it and he said (and I quote) "When your rosebushes bloom in the spring, I'll go out and pick one for ya" hahaaaaaaaaaaa I'll take what I can get!!!

That cookbook looks neat! I still have to check out that Amish gift store.

Happy weekend!!

Susan @ FruitfulWords said...

First, I love the snowflakes on your blog!

Second, your husband is so thoughtful. What a lovely surprise. Was this in reaction to you perfecting your mac and cheese recipe? lol

Third, glad you got to stay put and enjoy the first snow fall from home. That's how I like to enjoy it.

Have another great week, Hope.

Susanne said...

Your granddaughter looks so sweet in that picture. I think it would have been hard not to see her at Christmas. So glad you got some time now.

The cookbook looks wonderful. I love cookbooks that have additional things amongst the recipes.

Barbara H. said...

Your granddaughter looks really sweet. We don't have any granddkids yet but we're sure looking forward to them.

That mac and cheese DOES sound heavenly!

That rose is gorgeous, and how lovely to get it "for no reason" other than love.

We got our first real snow last night, and it wasn't much, but it's so cold and icy and slick out, I'm not planning to go anywhere except to get my son from school.

That cookbook sounds neat.

I see your comments only allow blogs with a Google account. My blog is on Wordpress at http://barbarah.wordpress.com.

Jerralea said...

I love to get new cookbooks. I enjoy reading them more than I do cooking from them!

So, are you interested in sharing your mac and cheese recipe? (Hint, Hint.)

Karyn said...

What a little sweetie that little girl is. Must have been hard not to have her around at Christmas.

The rose is lovely - and how nice to have it given for no special reason.

I like reading cookbooks, too. Especially if they have non-recipe tidbits here and there.

Kathie said...

Your little granddaughter is adorable!

Love your faves this week - especially the cookbook. I like to read cookbooks especially the ones with stories and verses etc.


Happy weekend!

Willow said...

What a sweet rose--and what a sweet hubby.

Have you heard of Mennonite Girls Can Cook Cookbook? Some our friends here at FFF are contributors to the book. You should look for it!