Saturday, November 26, 2011

Canning Apples


Earlier this fall I bought some apples at a local orchard.  A small bag cost $7.95, which I thought was high.  But, I figured the price for local food is going to be higher but worth it.  Then I found a local Amish store.  This week I paid $8.50  for a bushel of apples.  Do you have any idea how many apples are in a bushel?  A LOT!!  A bushel of apples is four huge grocery bags stuffed full.  So today I decided to can some of them.  It was my first time for canning anything except for the pickles I did this past summer.  I got directions from a website and simply followed it.  It was so easy.  The most time-consuming part of it was preparing the apples.  That's a lot of peeling, coring, cutting, and slicing.  I canned six quarts and am quite proud of my efforts.  And that was only one bag of apples.  I have three bags left and am thinking of making and canning or freezing some homemade applesauce this week.  Will also get some baked goods made and in the freezer.  I love having things on hand in the freezer for when company comes.  Here is a picture of my quarts all ready to be processed in the canner:  
And here is the finished product:

1 comment:

Faith said...

that's awesome! wow you DID pay alot for apples the first time. I usually pay about $.99 a pound at fresh market....i only buy about a peck at a time...only claire and i eat them and she HATES them in anything except my homemade muffins. but at least she likes em fresh with peanut butter on the slices! :) enjoy your apples this winter...i like to cut one up for the top of oatmeal and then add a bit of brown sugar! yummy