Monday, November 14, 2011

The Ragbag

When I was growing up, my mother always had a ragbag.  I don't know the origin of this, but I imagine they kept rags in pioneer days as they didn't have papertowels or handiwipes : )  I have always kept up the tradition of having a ragbag since I got my first apartment.  Rags are great for dusting or washing walls.  I don't own a mop as I don't like them.  I mop my floors on my hands and knees.  And yes, I use a rag to mop with.  Whenever an article of clothing no longer fits or is stained and isn't fit to give away, it goes into the ragbag.  I cut it into various sized squares.  I like my rags on the small side.  I cut larger rags for my husband to use in his workshop and on vehicles.  Not all material is suitable for rags.  I don't cut up anything silky because it just isn't good to clean with.  Cotton and denim are great.  And flannel is wonderful for dusting.  I used to keep my rags in a grocery bag in the closet.  However, I recently bought one of those thingies that holds plastic grocery bags, and I filled it with my rags  and keep it in my kitchen.  It is much handier.

2 comments:

Faith said...

I have a bag similar to yours but it does hang in the basement stairway and it holds those annoying plastic grocery bags...I use cloth bags for most of my groceries but sometimes I do get a couple of grocery bags..I use them to line the upstairs bathroom basket...makes for easier clean up. Dave has a "rag bag" of his old tee shirts or flannel shirts in the basement for his tool area...I like using flannel or chamois shirt pieces on my car to wipe down the dust on the inside or after washing it with the hose :)

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Oh!! I have one of those but I keep plastic Hannaford bags in there. LOVE the rag-bag idea though! I'll have to pick another one of those hangy things up next craft fair!