Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Home Remedies and Alternative Medicines

In trying to get back to basics and live more sustainably,  one of the things I've been doing is trying to depend on doctors and medicine less.  Don't misunderstand me - I'm NOT saying I don't think we should go to the doctor or take medicine.  I do think, however, that in general, people depend on them too much.  I have been doing a  lot of reading on home remedies, and have decided to occasionaly post some here. 
One of my favourite home remedies for headaches is lavender oil and peppermint oil.  You must make sure you buy the 100% pure, or Grade A.  It is best to buy these at a good health store.   When I get one of my bad headaches, I put a few drops of lavender oil on my forehead and temples.  Don't overdo it, because it may not work .   More isn't always better.  I also put peppermint oil on my neck and temples when I feel a tension headache coming on.  It really works!

3 comments:

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Oh man I really want to try that lavender stuff!! Maybe some Saturday you and I can go to that store together. I am ALL for home remedies...thanks for posting!

Hope said...

Yes, Mel! Let's go some Saturday SOON, and then we can also go to that Amish store. The lavender oil is only about $6.00.

Faith said...

I tried the peppermint oil this week for my hormonal headaches. it didn't work...I'm guessing it would work for a regular tension headache tho but the only headaches i seem to get are the "once a month" kind....or sometimes twice (ovulation and period)...UGH...OH...I am mailing you an article that was in our newspaper this morning. IT was all about home remedies..all different ones!! you can add it to your new label by writing the post and giving it the same label as this post....:)