Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday's Favorite Fives




It has been well over a month since I have posted anything on my blog, including the Friday's Favorite Five blessings from the past week.  That doesn't mean there haven't been any blessings.  It means that summers are very busy on this little mini farm.  But I have been having a wonderful time.  Here are some of my five favorite blessings.  Some of them are from the past month.

1.  I picked my first home-grown cucumber yesterday.  I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks delicious.  I'll probably have it tomorrow.  The garden is looking great.

2.  I went to a good old-fashioned camp meeting and heard a wonderful men's quartet.  They are kind of in the Southern Gospel style.  The camp is a place I have been going to since a very young child.  It was great to see some old friends.  I convinced one of my older sisters to go, and we had a nice time afterward going out for ice cream.  It was an enjoyable evening.

3.  My husband and I have been doing a lot of swimming and fishing this year.  It's been very relaxing.  Haven't caught much fish, but just enjoying the summer and the lake and each others' company has been nice.

4.  We had my husband's son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter over one night for a big bonfire.  It was great.  I love the smell of a camp fire and the crackling sounds it makes.  We enjoyed s'mores around the fire. 

5.  Our well has run dry because of the lack of rain.  However, the Lord supplies our needs.  There is a refreshing spring just 7 miles down the road.  It is inconvenient to have to live that way, but the water tastes delicious.  It is pure and clear.  As a bonus,  it looks like I could survive a massive power outage for a long length of time if I had to.  I've been heating water on the stove to wash dishes and taking an interesting form of sponge bath in the tub.  Well, it's getting me through.

Please let me know your blessings from the week by joining us at Living to Tell the Story.  Have a wonderful weekend!  Enjoy the weather!


                                                                          

4 comments:

Faith said...

oh wow, Hope! I had forgotten that with no water in the well, that meant no showers either! you have a good attitude about it all....we got a good soaking rain here last week but we could have used an extra day for it for sure! Joy told me she liked the camp meeting concert...that's awesome that they did that! I might be on the planning committee and have offered to teach a women's group if they need one. That could be fun for a week! and we LOVE fresh cucumbers!! YUMMY...claire loves them plain and I love them with a salad and in a sandwich. ENJOY (and oh yes!! THe Kings Speech was one of the best "modern" movies we've seen all year)

Susanne said...

Fresh cucumbers, yummy. We go through lots of cucumbers around here. My family and the dayhome kids all love them.

Yikes, sounds like you're really living a bit like the pioneers with the lack of water. Hopefully you'll get some good soaking rain soon.

Lakes and bonfires both sound like a lovely way to spend the summer.

Willow said...

When we lived in Indonesia, we didn't have running water. I feel your pain :) What a blessing to have the spring.

Cucumbers? Yum! Are you going to make pickles too?

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Did your bear make an appearance at the bonfire? LOL. I love bonfires! We've been getting good amount of rain lately so hopefully your well is nice and full!!! Sounds like you had a great week. Sorry I'm late in reading this ;(