Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Clotheslines

Simple living should include having a clothesline.  When was the last time you saw clothes flapping in the breeze on the line?  When was the last time you hung clothes on a line?  I know of neighborhoods that do not allow clotheslines for one reason or another.  Oh my goodness.  They don't know what they're missing.  There is nothing quite like the smell of air-dried sheets on a warm summer night. 

Clotheslines should also be a part of self-sustaining living because of how much money they save.  Last summer I started using a clothesline again after many years without one.  We saved over $30 on our electric bill each month I used the clothesline.  Winter came,  and I went back to the dryer.  At a friend's suggestion, I hung a clothesrack in my bedroom to hang the heaviest towels and clothes on.  Again, I noticed a tremendous difference in the electric bill.  I don't know about you, but I am tired of giving my money to utility companies.

Do yourself a favour and hang a load of wash out on the line.  You will be glad you did!

4 comments:

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

I never used to be a fan of clotheslines (ie, bird poop, bugs, crisp jeans) but I do love my sheets on a clothesline and shirts and stuff. We grew up with our clothes hanging rather than in the dryer (gram still does that). I would like to have a clothesline here but I'm not sure Joe will go for it...perhaps he should read this Blog post : )

Faith said...

our neighborhood can them but none of us have trees to put one on! lol....so...I bought a clothes drying rack and in the nice months (about April-October) i put it on the deck with all of our drip dry stuff, cotton things, pillowcases....mmmm...love the fresh air smell! courtney is gonna miss doing that!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hope,
I love hanging laundry out on my clothesline....in fact, my husband just put in a new one for me this year. I think I'm the only one in my neighborhood who does this! I agree...there's nothing quite like the smell of air-dried sheets!

Hope said...

Hi Rosie - Thanks for leaving a comment. Yes, clotheslines are great! People don't know what they're missing.