Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Button Jar

I remember my mother always having a jar full of buttons.  Actually it was a coffee can which she had decorated.  I can still see it in my mind's eye.  For some reason I loved that jar and all the many different shapes, sizes, and colors of the buttons in it.  As an adult, I have always saved buttons.  Sometimes an article of clothing comes with an extra button in case you lose one.  I always kept those and put them in my jewelry box.  Recently I decided that I needed a button jar of my own.  I had bought a set of glass canisters at a thrift shop last winter.  I needed them to hold mixes for cookies in a jar that I was giving as gifts.  I kept a couple of the canisters for myself and decided that the smallest one would be perfect to use as my button jar.  I don't know why I feel the need for one.  Maybe as a connection to my childhood.  Maybe to continue a tradition; something from a simpler time.  I like the way it looks on my dresser.  Aren't the buttons pretty in their jar?

6 comments:

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

I WANT A BUTTON JAR!!! My grandmother always (still does) saved buttons. She uses an ugly old coffee can though. Hmm, maybe I'll get a nice jar like yours and give it to her for her buttons! Actually she probably HAS those jars along with the hundreds of antiques up there, lol. Neat, Hope. I love how you guys make your home so cozy and lovely!!!!

Faith said...

I remember that button container! We have one too that I keep in our bedroom....sometimes, in the winter months, I move it to a shelf in the family room....it always looks so "homey"...i never USE The buttons mind you unless the girls need one for something...they just somehow get collected! definitely a fun thing to collect tho....seashells in a mason jar are nice too...that's what i have out now, as well, as one with sea glass! it's fun....

Hope said...

I have a vase with seashells in it in my bathroom. They are shells that Donny and I collected when we were on Cape Cod with you a few summers back!

Faith said...

I loved when you guys came out here!! I have been collecting sea glass now because we have so many shells....and i think i'll bring down my button jar for autumn for the little table in the dining room...haven't had it out in a few years.

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Gram has jars like that; I am going to snag one!! I found a button on my vanity AND on Joe's night stand and I was thinking we really need a button jar!! Fun! I can't wait (it's the little things)

Hope said...

Good Mel! And yes, the little things do matter. It's what keeps life interesting. I am all for simple pleasures.