Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Full Freezer

Well, I haven't posted in quite a while.  Have been busy.  My garden was a bit of a disappointment this year.  We have many tomatoes, but they are getting moldy on the top very quickly.  I am told this is because of so much rain.  I had visions of making jars and jars of homemade tomato sauce and stocking up my pantry.  It has been very hard to get the tomatoes to ripen all at once.  Last week I stopped at an Amish farm and found a wonderful treasure -  a whole big box of roma tomatoes - all for just $4.00!!  I quickly grabbed that box.  Saturday found me literally up to my elbows in tomatoes.  This was my first experience with both making homemade sauce right from tomatoes, and with canning them.  What a long process, and what a mess I made of my kitchen!!  After boiling down all those tomatoes I ended up with only three quarts of sauce.  I decided that it wasn't worth canning them.  Canning takes about two hours and a lot of cooking fuel.  Too much for just three quarts.   So, I decided to simply freeze the sauce.  It sure smelled good, even if it didn't look as pretty as it would have in mason jars. 

Our carrots didn't get too big, but I picked and froze those, too.  Our green beans did great, and those are all in the freezer.  I am still a bit intimidated by the canner.  We didn't have the variety of vegetables I had dreamed about having last winter.  The garden just wasn't big enough.  But I still wanted to have fresh vegetables without chemicals and pesticides.  So, I am doing the next best thing.  I am buying in bulk at farmer's markets and roadside stands and freezing the veggies.  I bought some really nice cauliflower for $2.00 apiece as well as some broccoli for $1.00 a bunch.  Also, zucchini and yellow squash.  My freezer is getting full.  My goal is to not have to buy any vegetables from the stores this entire winter.  I have a great start so far!!

4 comments:

Faith said...

That's really good Hope!! I hate buying most fresh veggies/fruits in the winter months (minus the seasonal ones like potatoes, oranges, grapefruit, acorn squash, pomegranates) because of the fact that they travel from other states (typically southern or western) and have SAT in boxes, hothouses (Ick, with chemicals) or on shelves much too long. I've been stocking up on frozen veggies to add to soups and stews, and am starting to freeze those wonderful farmers markets finds. I do buy grapefruit from Fresh Market (or hannaford if it looks good) because i can only get it around here in the winter months...just love it and it keeps illness away (for me anyways). I just froze some fresh broccoli...it's such a nice bright green...i've never frozen the fresh before so I'm interested in seeing how it comes out. Someone told me not to freeze it longer than 2 months..is that right?

Melanie - Author/Editor/Publisher said...

Oh Hope that is awesome!! Good job!! I'll do that next year for sure. We want to get a small chest freezer next year. Also, I'll have to make sure I hit farmers markets. You always find the best deals! Well Joe is putting in a veggie garden next year so hopefully that will thrive.

Hope said...

Faith - I don't know how long fresh veggies stay frozen. Am hoping it is for more than two months as I want these to last throughout the winter! Mel - yes, invest in a freezer. You can get one for next to nothing at a garage sale. We got ours for free from someone just wanting to get rid of it. And yes, def have a garden. It is like getting free food. We want a bigger one next year.

Hope said...

Ok Faith - I found out that fresh, frozen vegetables should keep for 12 - 18 months. Will let you know in the spring how they made out!